Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Minimal Requirements - JAVA 7

Where PCGen Program (JAVA) is discussed by the developers

Minimal Requirements - JAVA 7

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:33 am

JAVA 7 (1.7) will be the minimum required Java effective for PCGen version 6.5.1 and forward. Which means 6.4.x will be the last version to support Java 6 (1.6).

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Re: Minimal Requirements - JAVA 7

Postby DJBlayde » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:49 am

Oh good, I can stop rejecting the Java updates. :P
Just kidding, I accepted them anyway, but glad to see the updates supported.
DJBlayde

Postby Nylanfs » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:13 am

I'm running under Java 8 without problems. And it feels a bit faster.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby LegacyKing » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 am

I haven't made the jump to Java 8. I've been building under JDK7, which is the highest for PCGen.

When I have the time, I'll switch to Java 8. Luckily, you can actually tell Pcgen which version to run in bat/cmd files. I would be curious if there is a performance gain in 8. Are you able to do such tests Paul?

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby karianna » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:17 am

Java 8 is faster out of the both and we can also look to moving to the G1 collector which may help as well (I'll run some experiments with jClarity tooling). We'll also eventually be able to use Lambdas in collections (source code wise) which will reduce the amount of source code considerably.
karianna

Postby LegacyKing » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

The problem with JAVA version incrementing, is the fact that Windows is on top of the latest updates, but the other platforms - Linux, Macs, etc. aren't quite so fast to upgrade. Which is why we usually lag a version or two behind. We are jumping to 7 cause Eclipse LUNA is sneaky about attempting to use 7 syntax or usages not in 6. Add the fact that 8 is making its debut. We can run PCGen on the higher versions, but can't exactly use 8 specific code without punishing alternative platform users.

Off-topic - Kar, what was up with the GITHUB PR and then withdrawal?

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby karianna » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 pm

LegacyKing wrote:The problem with JAVA version incrementing, is the fact that Windows is on top of the latest updates, but the other platforms - Linux, Macs, etc. aren't quite so fast to upgrade. Which is why we usually lag a version or two behind. We are jumping to 7 cause Eclipse LUNA is sneaky about attempting to use 7 syntax or usages not in 6. Add the fact that 8 is making its debut. We can run PCGen on the higher versions, but can't exactly use 8 specific code without punishing alternative platform users.

Off-topic - Kar, what was up with the GITHUB PR and then withdrawal?

* Mac now relies on Oracle to provide Java, so no issues there (Oracle encourages users to move to 8).
* Linux users know what they're doing ;-) - they can manually install 8, but you're right, it's not part of the usual package managers

PR had some items I need to revert before committing, there are a couple of fixes so that we work under Java 8
karianna

Postby LegacyKing » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Ah, I guess we should "poll" the users then. I was under the impression Mac Java versions were tied directly into the OS releases. A user had to purchase an OS upgrade to get a new java update, are you saying that is no longer the case?

This Linux user definitely does not know what he's doing :? I'm still learning Zorin, which has been fun. Discovered that the .SH files isn't built when doing a build... makes life much harder to run PCGen on linux in that case. Let me tell ya, the tools on Linux are not as good as the ones available on Windows, at least as far as LST editing is concerned. I haven't found an editor that shows HIDDEN CHARACTERS, nor makes editing easy out of the box. Then the set up of building, it took five days to finally figure that out. RabbitVCS is the closest Tortoisexxx replacement I've found, but the UI is not nearly as feature rich... Don't get me wrong, I like my linux, but the learning curve is crazy. The tools I'm used to in windows that make life as a dedicated lst monkey easier, are lacking in linux...

Ultimately, James would make the call about migrating to Java 8. Last thing we want is a bunch of users left without a working pcgen version due to java version roadblock.

On another quick OT: Did you check out the Parser replacement and FACT/FACTSET? I also updated the Roadmap for 6.6. LST editor is on there, along with the FACT/FACTSET and Parser. :ugeek:

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Maredudd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:05 am

Is JAVA 8 gold? I thought it was still in dev?

---
Eric C Smith, PCGen Doc 2nd
PR/PL/Adv/Lic Chimp, Data/Doc Chimp
Release (Mac)/Tracker Gibbon, Web Tamarin
aka. Maredudd, Tenacious Monkey
Maredudd

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:45 am

I haven't had java asking to upgrade versions yet, only Java 1.7. I'm betting that means it's not public released yet.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Maredudd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:54 am

Thats what I thought. :-)

As I understand it, as you say Andrew, we are moving to minimum 1.7 with 6.5.x, but are not claiming compatibility with 1.8 until it gets released.I'll have t check the state of the Mac JAVA, but I definitely won't go to 1.8 until after its released myself.

---
Eric C Smith, PCGen Doc 2nd
PR/PL/Adv/Lic Chimp, Data/Doc Chimp
Release (Mac)/Tracker Gibbon, Web Tamarin
aka. Maredudd, Tenacious Monkey
Maredudd

Postby Nylanfs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:26 am

When you go to download Java it downloads 8 so I would think it's gold.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 am

java.com - I see this:

Download Java for Windows
Recommended Version 7 Update 67 (filesize: 896 KB)

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 am

Why is Java 8 not available on java.com?
Java 8 is the latest release for Java that contains new features, enhancements and bug fixes to improve efficiency to develop and run Java programs.

The new release of Java is first made available to developers to give adequate time for testing and certification before being made available on the java.com website for end users to download. If you are interested in trying Java 8 it can be downloaded from Oracle.com.

Java 8 is expected to be the default Java runtime on java.com before the end of 2014, and the process of migrating users from Java 7 to Java 8 through the auto update feature to take place during the first half of 2015.

Check with the app provider before upgrading to Java 8
Some application providers might require that you use a particular Java release and have not certified their applications with Java 8. If you experience problems running an application with Java 8, check with your application provider and confirm that it is certified with this version.

No Windows XP support on Java 8

As of April 8, 2014 Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP and therefore it is no longer a supported platform. XP users will be unable to install Java 8. Windows users must upgrade to Windows Vista or later to install Java 8.

See Third Party Vendor-Specific Support Terms on Oracle Software Technical Support Policies (pdf) for details.

Features of Java 8
Here is a brief summary of the enhancements included with the Java 8 release:
Lambda Expression and Virtual Extension Methods
Highlighting feature of Java SE 8 is the implementation of Lambda expressions and supporting features to the Java programming language and platform.
Date and Time API
This new API will allow developers to handle date and time in a more natural, cleaner and easier to understand way.
Nashhorn JavaScript Engine
A new lightweight, high performance implementation of JavaScript engine is integrated to JDk and is available to Java applications via existing APIs.
Improved Security
Replacing the existing hand-maintained list of caller sensitive methods with a mechanism that accurately identifies such methods and allows their callers to be discovered reliably.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to Developers - Code Monkeys