Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

A note for DATA rewrite team about Bardic Masterpieces

Discussions between the code and data teams for new features and implementing long term projects

A note for DATA rewrite team about Bardic Masterpieces

Postby evilpixie87 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:56 pm

While coding a PFRPG source, I ran across an ability that allows taking a Bardic Masterpiece as a bonus feat if prerequisites are met. The bardic masterpieces would each need "TYPE:Masterpiece" added in their respective xxx_feats.lst files so they can be made an ability category and BOOM! Pick your favorite that you qualify for. No big deal, it's just a couple dozen quick .MODS. Right??

WELL, apparently Skalds can ALSO take masterpieces. But that's never been activated! Hmmm... OK. It turns out that there's a template in um_classes.lst that activates them for bards that I can modify for skalds and add to the acg_classes.lst to activate that. Simple enough!

BUT, every masterpiece specifically has a PRECLASS:1,Bard=x tag.... SO, every one from every source they're in needs a rewrite. With the rebuild just around the corner, I figure I may as well throw in a placeholder for this one ability and leave a note for the rewrite team (of which I DO plan to be a part) so they're aware of this need. And with any luck, we can find a less clunky way of dealing with masterpieces that don't have each one be a part of at least 4 different lst files.... FRIGGIN' MASTERPIECES!!!

So this is meant as a reminder for when we begin rewriting the data sets. We need to 1) give the feat portion of Masterpieces their own TYPE (probably "Masterpiece"), 2) we should have a PREFACT tag for activation rather than a class specific PRExxx, and 3) we need to make sure that they are properly activated for Skalds.
evilpixie87

Re: A note for DATA rewrite team about Bardic Masterpieces

Postby Distant Scholar » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Bardic Masterpieces are far from the only "class feature" that later became a "many classes feature". Domains, Fighter Bonus Feats, Arcane Discoveries ... the list goes on. It might be handy in general to consider that any ability could possibly end up on a race or class (or template, or ...) that originally showed no sign of being able to have it. Or hasn't been made yet.

I'm thinking that PRECLASS and PRERACE (and maybe some others) should probably vanish from the official data sets altogether. But then, they might anyway, as I'm not sure how the existing PRE tags will interface with the new formula system. (Maybe this is one of the major purposes for the FACT tag?)

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data Chimp ... I think
Distant Scholar

Postby evilpixie87 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:23 am

Well, archetypes and racial traits are two quick examples of PRECLASS and PRERACE being 100% appropriate. But powers and abilities?? Yeah, most should probably receive either FACT:ActivateYourPowersNameHere=True markers or else DEFINE:YourPowersNameHereLVL|0 trackers.
evilpixie87

Postby Distant Scholar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 pm

The archetype packages from The Genius Guide to X Archetypes can be taken by multiple classes.

The Elan (Dreamscarred Press) can get (some) racial traits from the race they're made from.

:-)

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data Chimp ... I think
Distant Scholar

Return to Experimental