IT IS ALIVE!!!

NewSources github and ways of working

Where active book development is discussed
Forum rules
One Topic per active Book.

NewSources github and ways of working

Postby elro the onk » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Hey

Thanks to the useful "Contributing" help, I've got myself set up, "forked" and "branched" for the Lords of Chaos set I've been working on for ... [mumble].

I'm used to working with SVN in NFD - make changes, test they at least load ok, submit. When the set's finished, test more thoroughly that everything works as well as loads, then move on in the workflow. Simple.

I could do with some pointers on the workflow with git... I think I know what to do (from the help page), but not sure how often/at what point I should submit a pull request to get my fork/branch back into the master? If I wait until the whole set is done, it's gonna be pretty stale (like, months). So what is the form - should I send a pull request every day (say) after a small batch of commits?

Guidance gratefully received!

Cheers

Paul

elro the onk
data tamarin
elro the onk

Re: NewSources github and ways of working

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:37 am

Do you want the reply here or the mailing list or both?

Rule of thumb, anytime you hit a milestone (whatever you make of it) submit a PR. Milestone is finishing a feature, a race, inputting an archetype, etc.

PR is a formality. We can easily pull your stuff in at any time... PR is your formal - Hey, I've made progress, pull this in.

As far as "Stale". If you use use a real GIT method (Client or command line, OTHER THAN GITHUB FOR WINDOW/MAC) you can pull from any repo in the "repo family".

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to New Sources