PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Darwin's World Survivor's Guide

Where active book development is discussed
Forum rules
One Topic per active Book.

Darwin's World Survivor's Guide

Postby waytraveler » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 pm

I see a new release is coming. I have been slowly working on fixing issues with the Darwin's World Survivor Guide, since a couple of versions ago.

I don't have much of a programming background, and mostly made corrections by trial and error and looking at examples. So I can't confirm that all of the changes I made are accurate or well written.

What would be the procedure for my work to be reviewed and possibly included in the next release?
waytraveler

Re: Darwin's World Survivor's Guide

Postby LegacyKing » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi,

My preference for getting changes in would be using GIT and GITHUB. That would give you access to your own copy of the pcgen, then using the PR method (PR = Pull Request) to get your changes included.

I have no problem stepping people through the set up.

Another less preferred method is sending me the patched files via email. The downside is, if your files are out of date, then this just overwrites things and removes any improvements that may have been made. Hence my preference that you adopt GIT since that is a best method to avoid removing improvements made by others.

I'm available via IM or Skype for real time set up.
Y!IM - drew0500
Gtalk - drew0500@gmail.com
Skype - drew0500 (might need the @yahoo.com, not sure)

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby waytraveler » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:46 pm

Andrew,

I did just look at the instructions for getting into GIT, and it looks like something I won't have time to dig into.

So since I'm really not much of a programmer, and have no GIT experience, and the new release is impending, can I just e-mail you what I have? I am on the current stable release 6.04.00 and the LST loads correctly. I know I haven't fixed everything yet, but it's definitely better than what's getting released.

Darwin
waytraveler

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:04 am

Go ahead and email it. (help@pcgen.org)

The window for 6.4.1 last minute inclusions closed about 4 hours ago. 6.4.1RC2 went out today, which, unless we have a bug pop up, is the last release/inclusion till, 6.4.1 goes out on the 19th of this month.

However, I'll take a look at what you send, clean it up, and place it as an OOC download, and include it in the truck (development) release.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby waytraveler » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:31 am

I just sent it. Sorry I missed the deadline.

I downloaded the SourceTree software for Windows and will start to see if I can figure it out.

Since all I want to do is maintain the DW SG book, any advice on how to navigate GIT to just do that would be helpful.

I do work in IT, but as an engineer, so the development side of things is all new territory. I'm sure I can pick it up, but since it's a new paradigm, it might take me a bit.

Thanks!
waytraveler

Postby waytraveler » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:14 am

Being a pest ;-)

Thanks to YouTube, I've created a branch and I think I understand how to make changes and push them.

Once I know you've reviewed my current LST files that I sent you, and have added them to GIT, I'll pull them down and see what else I find that's broken.

I'll probably bother you again once I have more changes to push.

Thanks.
waytraveler

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:58 am

Hi Darwin,

Glad you're on the road of progress. In 7 days we're migrating to GIT and GITHUB. Until that happens, I've stopped all commits to the svn/git items EXCEPT newsources. I'll be reviewing your set and cleaning it up, but I'd hold off till the migration is completed by the 22nd of this month. Since DW2 is in the trunk, I can't really mess with it until the migration is over. I also can't toss it in Newsources, since it's not new, and I don't want to piss off the newsource monkeys who would get pestered about a source duplication error. ;)

We have a wiki page set up about git contributors - http://wiki.pcgen.org/GITHUB_and_proper_procedures

Again, it will be about a week before things start moving again. I ask for some patience as the entire project shifts over.

Feel free to ask any questions you want. We do have a few git savvy users on the team, and YOUTUBE is chalk full of wonderful tutorials. I learned most of GIT by watching then doing. :)

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to New Sources