Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

2 bonus skill points per level

Where users making their own LST files can ask "How-To" support questions

Moderator: Nylanfs

Forum rules
This is only to post HOW-TO Questions in relation to your own personal data sets. This is not where bugs are reported, please use the Main Group for Bugs or issues.

2 bonus skill points per level

Postby Rhino_Aus » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:44 am

This is probably a stupidly simple question, but I can't find a simple answer.

My Pathfinder campaign recommends the house rule of 2 extra skill points per level. I have found the "BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|2" global tag thing(?) but I have no idea how to add that to the character creation process.

Sorry for the noobie question.
Rhino_Aus

Re: 2 bonus skill points per level

Postby Distant Scholar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:44 pm

Do you have your own homebrew files already? Then add CATEGORY=Internal|Default.MOD <tab> BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|2 as its own line. That should work, although it might add 2 skill points per level to monsters, too; I forget. If that's a problem.

If you don't have your own homebrew files, you'll want to set them up. The help and support web page can get you started, and you can ask here, too.

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data Chimp ... I think
Distant Scholar

Postby Rhino_Aus » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Is there a way to just quickly modify the default pathfinder to have this change? I don't much care for "best practices" or setting up my own homebrew thing; I just want this little change made...
Rhino_Aus

Postby Distant Scholar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Well, you could add the line to the pathfinder main ability LST file; but you'd have to re-do it every time the program gets updated.

Alternately, under the Feats & Abilities tab, in the Misc subtab, under GM Awards, you could use the +1 Skill Rank option many times.

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data Chimp ... I think
Distant Scholar

Postby Rhino_Aus » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Distant Scholar wrote:Well, you could add the line to the pathfinder main ability LST file

That seems to work a treat. I had been using the GM award solution, but this is a far better option as the game goes on. Thanks!
Rhino_Aus

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Solution: Set up a homebrew folder location outside of your installation. Edit files and load your homebrew content via that method. No worrying about updates after that point.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Rhino_Aus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:22 am

LegacyKing wrote:Solution: Set up a homebrew folder location outside of your installation.

I have a working solution for now, but can you explain how I would do that for my case? I was rather confused by the documentation and help available.
Rhino_Aus

Postby LegacyKing » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Preferences in PCGen - Locations - there are three DATA locations - Vendor and Homebrew are the ones you would want to adjust. Just set one to a folder path that you want... for example c:\my_pcgen and have your files in there. Then all you need is to make sure that location is added when you install a new version.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to Homebrew LST File Support