Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Shadowrun 5e Custom Kit

Where users making their own LST files can ask "How-To" support questions

Moderator: Nylanfs

Forum rules
This is only to post HOW-TO Questions in relation to your own personal data sets. This is not where bugs are reported, please use the Main Group for Bugs or issues.

Shadowrun 5e Custom Kit

Postby Mentyl » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:59 pm

I downloaded this tool today and so far it is excellent. I want to create a custom source for Shadowrun 5e for me and some friends and was wondering what level of difficulty it would be to create it and what the time sync would be? I have all the source books to use and am familiar with programming Java. Is there any training guides or instruction manuals to build a new custom source using Shadowrun?

Thanks!
Mentyl
Mentyl

Re: Shadowrun 5e Custom Kit

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:39 am

Hi,

All the coding is in LST, which is a specific language that PCGen uses. It's been ages since I played a game of Shadowrun, and I don't know what 5th edition of the game entails. It all depends on what is involved and how well you can code it up. A safe estimate is about a month of coding, if you're doing two hours a day.

Now, the further removed from a d20 model you go, the more complex the coding will naturally become. I can give you pointers, but I can't recall if PCGen has permission to include Shadowrun... if we don't, then you might want to collaborate with another homebrewer on building it.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Nylanfs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:12 am

I have talked to Jason and Randall at Catalyst and Rob from Herolab. I believe that Lone Wolf's license is exclusive, but they aren't going after fan projects. So while we might not be able to release it with PCGen, we can link to it in the Shadowrun forums and Dumpshock.

Back about 5ish years I was playing around with making a 4e Shadowrun gamemode and list files but determined that the code was still too hardcoded to the d20 system at that time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby Nylanfs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:13 am

There has been a lot of progress lately though into making the code more game neutral.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Return to Homebrew LST File Support