Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

[Pathfinder] Referencing Existing Material

Where users making their own LST files can ask "How-To" support questions

Moderator: Nylanfs

Forum rules
This is only to post HOW-TO Questions in relation to your own personal data sets. This is not where bugs are reported, please use the Main Group for Bugs or issues.

[Pathfinder] Referencing Existing Material

Postby thes33 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi,
I'm an experienced programmer but new to LST files.
I've been adding some custom races to my Pathfinder set. However, whenever I try to reference an existing ability/feat the ability doesn't show up and I get console errors (stack errors, seems like an endless loop of some kind).

Example: (doesn't work)
ABILITY:FEAT|AUTOMATIC|Lightning Reflexes

Another Example (does work):

Racial Skills
KEY:Dohkan ~ RacialSkills
CATEGORY:Special Ability
TYPE:RacialTraits.SpecialQuality.Extraordinary.DohkanRacialSkills.DohkanRacialTrait.DohkanRacialDefault
BONUS:SKILL|Intimidate,Perception|2|TYPE=Racial

Another Example (does not work):

Resistances
KEY:Dohkan ~ Resistance
CATEGORY:Special Ability
TYPE:RacialTraits.SpecialQuality.Extraordinary.DohkanResistance.DohkanRacialTrait.DohkanRacialDefault
ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Resistance to Fire|Resistance to Cold|Resistance to Electricity
BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus,ColdResistanceBonus,ElectricityResistanceBonus|5|TYPE=Resistance
DESC:Dohkan have resistance 5 to cold, electricity, and fire.

Error:
java.lang.StackOverflowError
at pcgen.base.util.WrappedMapSet.size(WrappedMapSet.java:160) ...

However, if I reference abilities from my own homebrew campaign it works fine. Is there something I am missing for referencing material from other campaign sets?
thes33

Re: [Pathfinder] Referencing Existing Material

Postby LegacyKing » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 am

How did nobody answer this???

For an answer, that should have worked, as long as those other sources are loaded.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby thes33 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks for the reply,

All sources are loaded. Tried reinstalling. Nothing. Only happens when custom content references installed sources.
I'd probably have to tinker with the Java code to debug this, but I don't have time for that. I've resigned to adding racial details after using PCGen.

These LST files are about the worst 'markup' I've ever encountered, I would suggest a more sensible design in new iterations.
thes33

Postby LegacyKing » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:43 am

Send the files to help@pcgen.org. I'll take a look at them and assist in your homebrew efforts.

If you want to discuss the possible improvements to LST, join us on the team discussion group - https://www.hipchat.com/gzYdCc3Vn

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby thes33 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I no longer have the files. I gave up a month ago.

It seems you guys might already have a new system in the works, so this might not be of use. But I will say, as someone who has been doing Java programming for over 10 yrs, that you guys should nix the LST format. Starting as a hobby project, it might had made sense at the time, and it's usually more fun to invent something new than use existing architectures, but as a program grows and needs to be maintained by volunteers a more robust markup like JSON or XML would provide better readability and allow for easier expansion and maintenance. I'd personally move to an XML markup, as its eXtensibility will really help in the long run for adding new content. The SAX parsers built into the Java SDK would be just as fast, yet likely more reliable and less error prone than the likely homebrew parser in the Java side of PCGen.

As much as I'd like to help keep this great program running, I wouldn't have more than a few hours a month at the moment.
thes33

Return to Homebrew LST File Support