Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

[5e] Homebrew - Custom Racial Traits Not Applying

Where users making their own LST files can ask "How-To" support questions

Moderator: Nylanfs

Forum rules
This is only to post HOW-TO Questions in relation to your own personal data sets. This is not where bugs are reported, please use the Main Group for Bugs or issues.

[5e] Homebrew - Custom Racial Traits Not Applying

Postby Bananamous » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 am

First, please bear with me to some degree. I'm new to PC Gen, and I've only been digging through the files for a few hours so far. I'd try for longer before asking for help, but my schedule is pretty busy, so asking some people who are more informed is way more feasible than hoping I figure this out. :roll: Sorry in advance for my ignorance.

My problem: I added a race, Merfolk. It shows up in PCgen fine, and so do its ability modifiers. Then, I tried adding a few racial traits. Those don't appear to be working at all. I also can't figure out how to add standard ages to the race.

Desired Traits:
Merfolk:
+2 INT, +2 DEX, +3 DEX/underwater
Weapon Prof: Short Sword, Dagger, Spear, Trident, Short Bow, Long Bow, Net.
Racial Traits: Trance, Stealthy, Extra Language, Cantrip.
Starting Language: Merfolk, Common

Here are some snippets to show how I attempted this:
\PCGen\PCGen60601\data\5e\wizards_of_the_coast\srd5\srd5_races.lst
Code: Select all
Merfolk    SORTKEY:Base_PC   SIZE:M   MOVE:Walk,30, Swim,60   BONUS:STAT|INT|2   BONUS:STAT|DEX|2   ABILITY:Internal|AUTOMATIC|Racial Trait ~ Merfolk   LEGS:2   HANDS:2   TAIL:1 RACETYPE:Humanoid   RACESUBTYPE:Merfolk   TYPE:Humanoid.PC   SOURCEPAGE:p.

\PCGen\PCGen60601\data\5e\wizards_of_the_coast\srd5\srd5_abilities_race.lst
Merfolk Weapon Training   KEY:Merfolk ~ Merfolk Weapon Training      SORTKEY:1_Race   CATEGORY:Special Ability   TYPE:Merfolk Trait.SpecialQuality.Race Trait                  DESC:You have proficiency with the shortsword, dagger, spear, net, trident, shortbow, and longbow.                                                                                                                                                                              ABILITY:Weapon|AUTOMATIC|Shortbow|Longbow|Spear|Shortsword|Dagger|Net|Trident                                                                                                                                             SOURCEPAGE:p.
Cantrip         KEY:Merfolk ~ Cantrip            SORTKEY:1_Race   CATEGORY:Special Ability   TYPE:Merfolk Trait.SpecialQuality.Race Trait   DEFINE:POOL_Wizard_Cantrip|0   DESC:You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it. Spell save DC %1; Spell attack modifier +%2|8+Proficiency_Bonus+INT|Proficiency_Bonus+INT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     BONUS:VAR|POOL_Wizard_Cantrip|1      SOURCEPAGE:p.
Extra Language      KEY:Merfolk ~ Extra Language         SORTKEY:1_Race   CATEGORY:Special Ability   TYPE:Merfolk Trait.SpecialQuality.Race Trait                  DESC:You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choice.                                                                                                            

Stealthy         KEY:Merfolk ~ Stealthy            SORTKEY:1_Race   CATEGORY:Special Ability   TYPE:Merfolk Trait.Base Merfolk Trait.SpecialQuality.Race Trait                  DESC:You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.                                                                                                                                                                                             ABILITY:Skill|AUTOMATIC|Stealth                                                                                                                                                            SOURCEPAGE:p.
Trance         KEY:Merfolk ~ Trance               SORTKEY:1_Race   CATEGORY:Special Ability   TYPE:Merfolk Trait.Base Merfolk Trait.SpecialQuality.Race Trait                  DESC:Elves don't need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. (The Common word for such meditation is "trance.") While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.                                                                                                                                                                                          SOURCEPAGE:p.
Languages         KEY:Merfolk ~ Languages            SORTKEY:1_Race   CATEGORY:Special Ability   TYPE:Merfolk Trait.Base Merfolk Trait.SpecialQuality.Race Trait                  DESC:You can speak, read, and write Common and Merfolk.                                                                  ABILITY:Language Selection|AUTOMATIC|Common|Merfolk                                                                                                                                                   SOURCEPAGE:p.

\PCGen\PCGen60601\data\5e\wizards_of_the_coast\srd5\srd5_abilitycategories.lst

ABILITYCATEGORY:Merfolk Trait               VISIBLE:QUALIFY   EDITABLE:YES   EDITPOOL:NO                              CATEGORY:Special Ability   TYPE:Merfolk Trait                                                                                                      DISPLAYLOCATION:Character

Sorry if that's too much code to post.. I just couldn't really imagine how anyone could point out where I messed up without seeing what I'd done so far.

I'm not exactly sure how all the files fit together yet, so my attempt is likely pretty poor.. Nonetheless, any help would be appreciated. Once I get up to speed with editing this stuff, I'm sure I'll pay it forward on the forum.
Bananamous

Re: [5e] Homebrew - Custom Racial Traits Not Applying

Postby Distant Scholar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:22 am

Your race is adding the "Racial Trait ~ Merfolk" special ability, but I don't see that defined anywhere. And, there's nothing in your race I can see that gives the character the merfolk special abilities you defined. I'm guessing that the "Racial Trait ~ Merfolk" special ability is supposed to do that.

There are some other things I could ask about, but that seems to be the big one.

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data ... something or other
Distant Scholar

Postby Bananamous » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Right.. After spending most of the night working on this, I've realized my question was pretty incomplete. I've defined the "Merfolk" ability, and pretty much figured out everything else. The only real issue I'm having now is that some of the traits will only apply if I apply them to the race file directly, rather than attached to the Merfolk racial trait. I'm a little confused still, but it's starting to come together. I'll update this with my (somewhat) corrected code later today when I'm off work.
Bananamous

Postby Bananamous » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:10 am

Issue with the racial traits have been resolved. Now I'm trying to add a custom class and the abilities for the class won't show up. If anyone has tips or knows if there are any tutorials out there for 5e homebrew classes, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
Bananamous

Postby Nylanfs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:18 pm

The best way to learn is to see how an existing item handles something similar. Then find that in the data and play with it till you get it working for your class.

Also there are PCGen tutorial video's, and you can see if BahumetDragon's repo has something similar

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby LegacyKing » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Bananamous wrote:Issue with the racial traits have been resolved. Now I'm trying to add a custom class and the abilities for the class won't show up. If anyone has tips or knows if there are any tutorials out there for 5e homebrew classes, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Fine, twist my arm! I'll do a 5e tutorial...

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Valtierra » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:31 pm

You're doing the Lord's work, LegacyKing. When can we expect it?
Valtierra

Postby LegacyKing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 am

You want a video or documents? Vids are by far easier.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to Homebrew LST File Support