Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

[Pathfinder] Elves of Golarion and Improved Archetype

If you want to see a book included in PCGen, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Nylanfs

[Pathfinder] Elves of Golarion and Improved Archetype

Postby Regcod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:07 am

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a plan for create a dataset for Elves of Golarion and Improved Archetype. I'm a newbie and I'm just also courious to know if there are a guide to create them if they aren't planned.

Thank you in advance

Bye
Regcod

Re: [Pathfinder] Elves of Golarion and Improved Archetype

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:16 am

Hi,

The problem is always volunteers and availability. Three general things need to happen for a book to be added to pcgen:
1) User interest - always a good thing, since adding books that won't be used isn't a useful thing.
2) Volunteer available to do it
3) Sourcebook

That is assuming that we have permission from the given publisher (Paizo is generous in their license).

To answer the question:
Elves of Golarion - you're the first request to add it, thus no plans to add it currently
Improved Archetype? I've never heard of it. Is that a new book?

There are a few guides - I have the How-to videos on youtube.com - linked from the pcgen.org website; we have the available documentation; and you can always ask for help on our groups.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Regcod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:16 am

Sorry, for improved Archetype I mean the hybrid class like Arcanist. I supposed that "Improved Archetype" was the sourcebook name, but I could be wrong ;)
This evening I'll search better for that.

I'll look for the guide you mentioned, to be honest I saw a post inside homebrow thread, where you answered to another user where to find the examples files, this is because I asked if there was also a guide :)
In my spare time I could also try to figure how to create the Dataset (starting from the hybrid class), I'm a php, html, javascript, mysql programmer so, I haven't studied the structure for dataset (only this evening I could analyze them), but if is needed some tool particular can you point me on the right direction please? (I don't think that Notepad++ would be useful right? )

Thank you again
Regcod

Postby Regcod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 am

Sorry, my mistake the sourcebook is "Advanced Archetypes"!!!
Regcod

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:11 am

Never heard of Advanced Archetypes either. I know we're working on Advanced Class Guide, which contains a hybrid class called Arcanist...

Notepad++ is sufficient to edit LST files. LST is basic text files with human readable commands that are taken by the java code and processed into an expected output.

BONUS:VAR|SomeFoo|5

RACETYPE:Humanoid

FACE:10
REACH:15

DAMAGE:1d8

Those are all "lst tags" which get interpreted. The tough thing to learn with LST is which commands work in which files.

Commands in a Class file won't work in a KIT file. Barring "global" commands of course.

This is an interesting time to join up or learn, as there are some serious changes to the code base and what tags will be used in LST in the coming months.

The documentation has an entire section for "BONUS" which would be replaced mostly by two new tags:
MODIFY
MODIFYOTHER

That is part of the FORMULA PARSER replacement project

We're also implementing two other new tags
FACT
FACTSET

These will replace 'static' facts about the PC that we use other tags for. RATEOFFIRE, Deity PANTHEON, Deity FOLLOWERS, Race Base Movement Modes.

BONUS:VAR|SomeFoo|1 would be converted to something like: MODIFY:VAR=SomeFoo|ADD|1

Anyways, guides, not much luck... It's really a case of priorities. The people that could write the guide are the same ones coding the program. Do you want a guide, or do you want new stuff?

There are how-to classes, and a basic covering of how things are done. If you want to see the code in practice, look at the core rule set. If you can fathom that, then you've solved 80% of the learning curve. ;)

Start with a class:

Fighter

CLASS:Fighter
1 <> ABILITY:Fighter Class Feature|AUTOMATIC|Fighter ~ Weapon and Armor Proficiencies|PRExxx....

That's saying at level 1 of Fighter, assign to abilitypool 'Fighter Class Feature' nature of automatic 'Fighter ~ Weapon and Armor Proficiencies'

In the ability file is where you'd fine
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies <> KEY:Fighter ~ Weapon and Armor Proficiencies <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:FighterClassFeatures

To understand the abilitypool reference you need to look at 'abilitycategories'
ABILITYCATEGORY:Fighter Class Feature <> TYPE:FighterClassFeatures <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> ...

Once you realize that items can be invoked elsewhere, but are stored in a central location, you'll be good to go.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Regcod » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:21 pm

LegacyKing wrote:Never heard of Advanced Archetypes either. I know we're working on Advanced Class Guide, which contains a hybrid class called Arcanist...

That's really odd... it's the same hybrid class found on that supplement... but could be also te same... there is also the Swashbuckler or the Brawler??!?!? I've read of them on http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ but could have make a mistake on sourcebook containing them, sorry.

LegacyKing wrote:Notepad++ is sufficient to edit LST files. LST is basic text files with human readable commands that are taken by the java code and processed into an expected output.

BONUS:VAR|SomeFoo|5

RACETYPE:Humanoid

FACE:10
REACH:15

DAMAGE:1d8

Those are all "lst tags" which get interpreted. The tough thing to learn with LST is which commands work in which files.

Commands in a Class file won't work in a KIT file. Barring "global" commands of course.

This is an interesting time to join up or learn, as there are some serious changes to the code base and what tags will be used in LST in the coming months.

The documentation has an entire section for "BONUS" which would be replaced mostly by two new tags:
MODIFY
MODIFYOTHER

That is part of the FORMULA PARSER replacement project

We're also implementing two other new tags
FACT
FACTSET

These will replace 'static' facts about the PC that we use other tags for. RATEOFFIRE, Deity PANTHEON, Deity FOLLOWERS, Race Base Movement Modes.

BONUS:VAR|SomeFoo|1 would be converted to something like: MODIFY:VAR=SomeFoo|ADD|1

Anyways, guides, not much luck... It's really a case of priorities. The people that could write the guide are the same ones coding the program. Do you want a guide, or do you want new stuff?

There are how-to classes, and a basic covering of how things are done. If you want to see the code in practice, look at the core rule set. If you can fathom that, then you've solved 80% of the learning curve. ;)

Start with a class:

Fighter

CLASS:Fighter
1 <> ABILITY:Fighter Class Feature|AUTOMATIC|Fighter ~ Weapon and Armor Proficiencies|PRExxx....

That's saying at level 1 of Fighter, assign to abilitypool 'Fighter Class Feature' nature of automatic 'Fighter ~ Weapon and Armor Proficiencies'

In the ability file is where you'd fine
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies <> KEY:Fighter ~ Weapon and Armor Proficiencies <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:FighterClassFeatures

To understand the abilitypool reference you need to look at 'abilitycategories'
ABILITYCATEGORY:Fighter Class Feature <> TYPE:FighterClassFeatures <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> ...

Once you realize that items can be invoked elsewhere, but are stored in a central location, you'll be good to go.

Cheers,

That's an interesting topic, I'm not at home now but this evening I'll look further for better understand all of this. Seeing now look like a 'structure' enough familiar, but I must analyze better what I have ;)

Thank you again for your time :)
Regcod

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Bottom has the ogl sec 15 statement:
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide © 2014, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Dennis Baker, Ross Byers, Jesse Benner, Savannah Broadway, Jason Bulmahn, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Tracy Hurley, Jonathan H. Keith, Will McCardell, Dale C. McCoy, Jr., Tom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Thomas M. Reid, Sean K Reynolds, Tork Shaw, Owen K.C. Stephens, and Russ Taylor.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Distant Scholar » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:27 am

The Advanced Class Guide is currently under construction.

There is a book called Advanced Archetypes, published by Flaming Crab Games for Pathfinder. I'm guessing it's not the book you're looking for.

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data Chimp ... I think
Distant Scholar

Postby Regcod » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:28 am

LegacyKing wrote:Bottom has the ogl sec 15 statement:
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide © 2014, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Dennis Baker, Ross Byers, Jesse Benner, Savannah Broadway, Jason Bulmahn, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Tracy Hurley, Jonathan H. Keith, Will McCardell, Dale C. McCoy, Jr., Tom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Thomas M. Reid, Sean K Reynolds, Tork Shaw, Owen K.C. Stephens, and Russ Taylor.

Cheers,

Sorry, my mistake!!!
Obviously you are right :)

I made confusion about the sourcebook, I was looking on a site with a list of book.

Yesterday evening I checked the 6.05 version and I tried the new acg found on svn server, including the new classes. I noticed that there is a TODO for the work in progress, but look like already stable now.
I saw that there is also a tool for edit data content that is in developement, I'll look forward also for it, it's really interesting.

Anyway I forgot to write my appreciation for your hard work, because this tools is amazing! ;)
Regcod

Postby LegacyKing » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:42 pm

SVN server is no longer used. We moved our operations to GITHUB. New source made the move even earlier. So whatever version you have is likely very old.

Distant Scholar is working on ACG, hopefully he'll have that finished soon.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Regcod » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:16 pm

LegacyKing wrote:SVN server is no longer used. We moved our operations to GITHUB. New source made the move even earlier. So whatever version you have is likely very old.

Distant Scholar is working on ACG, hopefully he'll have that finished soon.

I've found the git hub project now, thank again for the advice!!
Regcod

Postby Regcod » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Distant Scholar wrote:The Advanced Class Guide is currently under construction.

There is a book called Advanced Archetypes, published by Flaming Crab Games for Pathfinder. I'm guessing it's not the book you're looking for.

No, it wasn't!!
I made a mistake reading the prd, the right book is indeed the advanced class guide, sorry :)
Regcod

Postby laerm » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Zombie post alert...

I figured I'd raise my hand to say that there are now two people who'd be interested in Elves of Golarion.

Micah
laerm

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Zombies........

Two people now... Well, is there anything in particular required for your game?

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:27 pm

One hour later, you have your requested book. Made from scratch.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:32 pm

NEWSOURCE-247
[Player Companion] Elves of Golarion

https://pcgenorg.atlassian.net/browse/NEWSOURCE-247

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby laerm » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:03 am

Wow, great! Thanks so much. This is a big help for me. Virtual beers on me.

Micah
laerm

Postby WalterStone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:08 am

Is there any plan on how to create a data-set for Elves of Golarion and Improved Archetype? I'm asking you, because I'm a newbie and I'm just too curious about all that is connected to the following topic: Good luck!

MODERATOR EDIT By Andrew: This post is borderline SPAM as the URL that was posted has nothing to do with Gaming or D20 system, but instead an essay writing PAY SITE. I'm allowing it just to give the benefit of the doubt. Further posts from this user of a suspicious nature will invoke a ban from the site as a Spammer. User has been duly warned.
WalterStone

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:51 am

@WalterStone - The request has been made. A data-set will eventually be made by a volunteer, however I cannot give time frames.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to Publisher Permission and Book Requests