Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Interactively-Linked HTML Output Sheets?

Post Output Sheets, discuss Output Sheets. Everything that encompasses Output Sheets!

Interactively-Linked HTML Output Sheets?

Postby Hestind » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:07 am

In 6.02, I think, we had HTML output sheets wherein you could click Feats and Special Abilities and such, causing drop-down boxes with a simple explanation of the Feat/Ability in-question. Are there plans to bring this back to 6.04 and beyond?
Hestind

Re: Interactively-Linked HTML Output Sheets?

Postby LegacyKing » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:46 am

I must have not ever had the pleasure of the fun sheets. I suspect you're inquiry is regarding the Javascripted sheets. Sadly, at this time we do not have any plans to bring those back. The reasons are a bit numerous but I'll summarize it:

• First and most importantly, we lack any javascript savvy volunteers willing and able to donate any time towards the upkeep of those sheets. Mind you those sheets were implemented back in the 5.8 or earlier days. Since the advent of pathfinder, and even 3.5 those sheets are beginning to show that they were unable to keep up with the rapid changes brought on, and that they were not designed to jump from game system to game system, which we had a one-size fits all at that point.
  • Second, all those nice displays with the extra explanation - like Rage, required hardcoding the text into the sheet. This to me is a waste of time, as the sheets should be pulling all the information from the files. Having this disconnect between sheet and sources means any new books required additional coding time. Again, no javascript savvy coder + double the work load as you now had to add things to the sheets...

So, there you have it. The javascript sheets are nice, but are falling apart, don't have anyone able to work on them, and frankly weren't smart enough to pull all the information into the sheet that is supplied by data.

Since I can't fix those sheets, and have nobody who is willing to step up to fix them, I made the executive decision to pull those sheets out of circulation. I'd rather have working sheets that we can maintain and don't require additional coding to keep up with the massive changes we have to deal with. Barbarian Rage on the PDF looks nice and sharp, check it out. That's the direction we're heading with the freemarker support.

Also, we have a new guy who joined the team to clean up the PDF, who knows, maybe he'll be able to come up with a solution to the old javascript sheets that doesn't require hardcoded items.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Hestind » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:32 am

For a GM that has lots of NPCs (solo PC campaign), which of the current formats (I have downloaded 6.04) would you most recommend for me to be able to not have to wrack my brain to remember that once-in-a-while feat that one NPC has and what it does?
Hestind

Postby LegacyKing » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:15 am

Hi,

I would say the PDF is by far the superior sheet for tracking all the information. However, if you want full information in HTM format then I would recommend using "csheet_fantasy_std.htm.ftl" that is going to closely mimic a standard character sheet, with full information. If you want a statblock, then that would be a feature request to use an existing statblock + feats/abilities info displayed.

Feel free to export in all the various formats and see what works for you. I even have a party sheet (HTM) which is a GM quick look for common items.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Nylanfs » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:38 pm

There was a sheet that somebody was working on that was hyperlinked to the relevant PRD or d20pfsrd

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby LegacyKing » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:58 am

Unless I'm mistaken, those are all in place and working.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to Output Sheets