Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Missing elements to be able to translate

For discussions and files for international support.

Missing elements to be able to translate

Postby Pablin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 am

As a picture is worth a thousand words, I chose to make screenshots of the sections and
highlight those elements missing into the file LanguageBundle.properties
to be able to generate its translation.
And I guess also the possibility of using the OUTPUTNAME: tag in some categories such as:
Schools, Sub-Schools and Skill Categories (Craft, Knowledge, Perform and Profession)

PD: And by the way, Thanks for this fantastic and wonderful project. :D

Summary

Feats and Abilities (Here, also, it's necessary that the order is made based on OUTPUTNAME: tag)

Spells

Companions

Preferences -> House Rules

GMGen -> Initiative

GMGen -> Overland Travel
Pablin

Re: Missing elements to be able to translate

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi Pablin,

The sort order was an issue for me, the default sorting mechanism is by the object 'NAME', we have a specific tag to handle re-ordering called 'SORTKEY'. If sortkey is used, then the order is fixed by that.

I'm not sure how easily most of that will be to change. Going in order:
The TOP row is UI - so that should be easy.
The Ability names are taken directly from the Game Mode StatsandChecks file - thus the name is directly populated by the words there. Getting a DISPLAYNAME or OUTPUTNAME would be your best bet - might need a new tag though - TRANSLATEDISPLAY:ABILITY_STRENGTH

And then have a file where you have

ABILITY_STRENGTH <> DISPLAY:Correct word

Alignments come from the same file mentioned.

For the most part, what isn't translated is coming directly from text based files. We would need to incorporate a mechanism that allows a replacement file to translate those. Sounds like a great idea for a project.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Nylanfs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Also AFAIK GMGen is on the slate to be re-written at some point so it might not be worth it to work too hard on that bit of code.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby Pablin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Thank you very much to both for the quick response.
I already tried adding the tag SORTKEY: with a_base_pc option .. thanks, it works wonderfully. :D
by the way, the order of the tags does not matter right?

I modified the file statsandchecks.lst from system\gamemodes\Pathfinder_RPG\ adding the tag OUTPUTNAME : but only worked with the alignments, the abilitys had no effect. (I also tried with tag DISPLAYNAME: but nothing) :cry:

Anyway, I think it would be appropriate to make things easier for internalizing these names should (if possible) be taken from LanguageBundle.properties as most gaming systems use the same names. (with the exception of Killshot, Xcrawl and Legends Of Excalibur)... This would be very difficult to incorporate?

The idea of ​​using a new tag for translations is very good idea, but when generating the character sheet in HTML or PDF, should take these new tags and not the OUTPUTNAME:

In addition, there is also the need to translate DESC: and BENEFIT: tags (which today can be modified with the mini-tool another post) but if we would not change the original should also incorporate a new tag for each of them.

Anyway, all this would be a temporary solution to the issue of internalization, at least, we reach a more elegant solution.

Thank you very much for all the explanations were very helpful. ;)
Pablin

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:08 pm

DISPLAYNAME doesn't exist. I made that up as an illustrative point of what we would need. TAG Order is important for a few cases:

DESC:Blah <> DESC:.CLEAR
versus
DESC:.CLEAR <> DESC:Blah

Gives two different results.
1st is DESC:
2nd is DESC:Blah

Beyond the Clear methods, no, order is not a big deal, unless you have a Single source tag, in that case, it's usually last loaded wins.

DESC:Foo <> DESC:Bar

will net you FooBar

ASPECT:TYPE|Hungry
ASPECT:TYPE|Stuffed

will net you Stuffed

Hope that makes sense.

For a fix to the internationalization, We just need to sit down with the coders and determine how to best handle swapping out the data. Since most of the data is text strings, you would have to pull those out and put in the replacements.

You may end up with quasi sets loaded strictly by language

PCC file Ultimate Combat

Loads all the normal files, but has this:

PCC:uc_lang_es.pcc|PRESYSTEMLANG:Spanish

Then that pcc would load alternative files.

I really don't know, but it is something we will have to discuss. Changing the name of something is easy, changing an entire line is completely different.

Basically, we need a method to swap language specific details easily.

BTW - Bow ties are cool and so are Fez hats!

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Pablin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Thank you very much for the explanation of the possible cases to consider to be careful about the order of elements. I understood perfectly.

Yeah, I was reading the PCGen Wiki about Internalization. It's a matter which must be studied very carefully before making a decision about it.

Ideally.
First load the original data sources chosen
After that, based on the language, load files with translations for each data file.
For example:

load the cr_feats.lst
Code: Select all
Alertness      TYPE:...   SORTKEY:...   DESC:.....   BONUS:SKILL|Perception|if(skillinfo("TOTALRANK","Perception")>=10,4,2)   BONUS:SKILL|Sense Motive|if(skillinfo("TOTALRANK","Sense Motive")>=10,4,2)      SOURCEPAGE:...   BENEFIT:.....

and then files with translations for each case
Code: Select all
Alertness      ALT_NAME:....   ALT_DESC:...    ALT_BENEFIT:...    ALT_SOURCEPAGE:...

but I do not know if doing this would generate duplicates of each item.

PD: ....and also colorful scarfs !! ;)
Pablin

Postby Nylanfs » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Yumm, Jelly Babies.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby Pablin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:10 am

LOL... yeap, i know ... my explanation is very silly, :) but i'm not yet familiar with the structure of the databases, but when I started with the idea of ​​translating, I tried to do this using separate files for each file (eg xx_abilities_es.lst) but I realized that was not working with the same logic that is used, for example, to define classes, which can be used multiple lines to add new parameters to the key name. (as in the file: xx_classes.lst) , so it would be fantastic if the rest of the data files will use the same ability to incorporate new parameters so we have no need to modify the original bases.
I do not know if I can explain correctly what I mean. :D

PD: Would you like a Jelly Baby?
Pablin

Return to Internationalization