Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

SourceForge

Discussion location for website

SourceForge

Postby reddmond » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:32 am

Hello,

Given the recent controversies regarding SourceForge has there been any consideration given to moving PCGen to another file host?

For example: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/06/notepad-and-pale-moon-leave-sourceforge-over-adware-practices/
reddmond

Re: SourceForge

Postby LegacyKing » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:46 pm

There has been no current discussions about relocating. Our project staff is all volunteers and with very busy lives. The switch from SVN hosting on SF to GITHUB was disruptive enough. There would have to be a strong compelling reason for us to disrupt what little time we have to this project, to go through a process of discussing and then relocating to another host. (SVN was a two-to-four month process - in terms of moving and then training everyone how to use it)

Personally, I dislike ADWare. If SF was encapsulating adware to our project, that would be enough to force our hand. I don't speak for the entire board, so I'd have to get their input. If you think this would be a good idea, a little help would be appreciated. I happen to know that googlecode is shutting down their services, at least that's what the tortoisegit project announced, which is why they are relocating. Do you have a list of FOSS project hosts?

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Re: SourceForge

Postby Nylanfs » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:04 pm

When this first came up we looked into what they were doing. At that time it was and still is an optional inclusion. The second they try and force it in I can guarantee that I for one will be pushing to get off SF

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Return to Website Discussion