Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

How to add a non-core animal companion?

For Pathfinder discussions

How to add a non-core animal companion?

Postby mcv » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 am

My Ranger just reached level 4 (actually level 5, because I took a level of Barbarian), and my GM offered me the option of a Geier, or Giant Vulture, as animal companion. Looking it up online, it seems to be from Bestiary 3 (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/mons ... nions.html).

Problem is: I can't seem to choose it for my character. I tried adding Bestiary 3 to my sources, but the process doesn't really convince me that everything went right. I had to add a book that's out of scope for this campaign (Ultimate Combat), and it kept closing the character I wanted to add it to. And I never got Giant Vulture as an Animal Companion option under the "Animal Companion" header on the Companions tab. I did see "Companion (Giant Vulture)" under the "Follower" header, but PCGen insists I still need to select an Animal Companion.

So how do I get this animal as companion? And can I do it without messing up my sources too much?

I'm using PCGen 6.02.00.
mcv

Re: How to add a non-core animal companion?

Postby Distant Scholar » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:09 am

Have you done much in the way of making your own data for PCGen? If so, the below will probably make sense. If not, you may need some more explanation.

I'm not sure version 6.02.00 is set up exactly this way, but ...

For the ranger to be able to choose a giant vulture as an animal companion, I think putting the following in an ability file will allow it:
Hunter's Bond ~ Animal Companion.MOD <t> COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|Companion (Giant Vulture)

If you want to use the giant vulture without loading all of Bestiary 3, I think you need three things: the giant gulture line from b3_races_companion.lst in a race file, the giant vulture line from b3_abilities_companion.lst in an ability file, and the giant vulture section from b3_kits_companion.lst in a kit file.

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data 2nd/Chimp ... I think
Distant Scholar

Postby mcv » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:21 pm

I was planning to learn how to edit or add my own data, but I have no idea where to start. Documentation is rather piecemeal.

But now that you mention it, I do believe the Giant Vulture is not normally allowed for a Ranger, so if PCGen enforces that, I do indeed have to edit something. That of course explains why I can't use it yet.

So how do I do this? I only know there are lots of .lst files with cryptic contents, but I understand from you that some of them are race files, some are ability files and some are kit files. Can I make my own custom race, ability and kit files to use only for this character, so other characters aren't affected?
mcv

Postby mcv » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:50 pm

I missed the fact that a Ranger can't normally choose a Giant Vulture. I was already considering looking into how to edit .lst files, but documentation I've seen seems to be very bits and pieces. I never know which files to edit or where to find them. I guess it would be nice to have my changes in a separate file (or several separate files) for a specific character, so I don't ruin the data for PCs in other campaigns.

Is there a good tutorial anywhere on how to do that?
mcv

Postby LegacyKing » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:26 am

pcgen.org --> I made some how-to videos. However, for the Ranger companion, if you have git downloaded, I'll toss in a freebie homebrewer extension like I did for druids and paladins.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby mcv » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:26 pm

I've got git. Are you talking about a git-driven tutorial, or adding the files to a PCGen git repository?
mcv

Postby Li-aung Yip » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:25 am

mcv: I'm working on the documentation. You can help by pointing out which bits need improvement, so I know what to work on next. (Right now I am just flailing around updating whatever parts look shonkiest.)

IRC: layip. GitHub: https://github.com/LiaungYip .
Li-aung Yip

Postby LegacyKing » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:29 pm

mvc - Point your git to our github, make a clone. Eventually, I'll have an update that will make your animal companion addition easier to manage.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to d20 (Pathfinder)