Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Mac OSX network settings

Where new users can post questions about PCGen, or report possible issues (bug tracking is by Jira - jira.pcgen.org)

Mac OSX network settings

Postby Shikimol » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 am

Hi,

I had a search around and have been unable to find the answer to my issue. I am running the latest PCGen and GMGen, I am trying to change the port settings for the server under the network tab in GMGen, checking the documentation advises "The Network Preferences let you set the server port and the user name.". The image is of windows and I am unable to find the port setting to change it from port 80.

I have also checked the .ini files and I cannot find the settings in there for the port. I am clicking on server to run and getting the error "Server Error: Permission denied (Bind failed)" Under the impression that this maybe a port fault. I am getting this error on both My Mac's.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Evan.
Shikimol

Re: Mac OSX network settings (Resolved)

Postby Shikimol » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi Again,

Just want to update that I have been able to resolve this issue myself.

Just some background and this might help others in the future. When trying to bind a port that is under the range 1024 (Privileged Ports) on linux/UNIX, this will need root access. So that is why the binding error displays within OSX. To get around this, adding an option to change the port would help alot and make it easier (Maybe a future feature OR easier to find).

Now, running applications as root within OSX is also no easy task for the normal folk, so the best and fastest way of doing this is to install "Java SE Development Kit (8 is the latest as of this post)". Once installed, go into terminal and cd to your PCGen dir. Once you are in this directory, simply run "sudo java -jar pcgen.jar" without quotes. Input your admin password and this will run PCGen as root. This will then allow GMGen to run the server on port 80.

Hope this helps others with Mac's.

Reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/permission-denied-error-when-binding-a-port-290750651.html

Regards,
Evan
Shikimol

Re: Mac OSX network settings

Postby Nylanfs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Wow, that sounds horrible involved. It's not even a requirement for PCGen to run as a root application on Linux, unless they changed something since I used linux seriously last.

Thanks for the info though!

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

Note: This forum will be closed within the next month. Pleas signup at https://pcgen.groups.io
Nylanfs

Re: Mac OSX network settings

Postby Shikimol » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Nylanfs wrote:It's not even a requirement for PCGen to run as a root application on Linux, unless they changed something since I used linux seriously last.

You are correct, The application itself does not need the elevated privileges. But if the application wants to bind to port 80, it does need the privileges. Nothing has changed in linux/UNIX, The first 1024 ports are reserved for specific applications, and on Linux can normally only be used by a daemon / application that has super user privileges. Here is a list of what the ports are for http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/network-services-ports.

Doing the command above in terminal allows you to run the PCGen java application as a root user, this gives it the privileges to use the defined port of 80.

I have actually ran into another issue that I will put a Jira request in for. On both of my Macbook's there is no available properties option under edit within GMGen, I have tested this on my windows machines and can see this dropdown option fine. So it looks to be only a Mac OSX issue. This stops me from changing the port settings BUT also stops me from changing the username for the connection. So in return, I am unable to have two Macbook's connected as they will both have the username of "Player".

Regards,
Evan
Shikimol

Return to Questions & Issues