Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Pathfinder Prepared Spells (v6.07.04)

Where new users can post questions about PCGen, or report possible issues (bug tracking is by Jira - jira.pcgen.org)

Pathfinder Prepared Spells (v6.07.04)

Postby chshrkt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 am

I created my level 1 Elf wizard, and love the ability to have my level 0 and 1 prepared Spells show up on the character sheet.
However, once I added the appropriate experience points and leveled up to 2, it will not let me prepare any lvl 2 spells, it says that I can "only prepare 0 spells for level 2 and there are no higher-level slots available".

What am I missing?
chshrkt

Re: Pathfinder Prepared Spells (v6.07.04)

Postby chshrkt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Okay,
So I figured out the issue.

In my defense, in my ~40 years of playing D&D, I have never DM'd or played a pure caster. I have always played a Paladin or Ranger if I wanted to have a character with magic abilities, so the whole not getting spells immediately or every level made sense.

After making this post here, I went back and read the book, saw that 2nd character level did not get '2nd level' spells, hit d20pfsrd and the Paizo forums and read further that calling them 2nd level spells is really confusing for 'new' players (which I guess I consider myself to be, since I am new to pure casters). Some have suggested renaming the spells 'levels' as "circle", "degree", "grade", or "tier".

But anywho, I figured it out, I now know I will only get the next tier of spells every odd character level, so I am good. (I was really looking forward to using Glitterdust in our next gaming session though :D ).
chshrkt

Postby Nylanfs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Hooray, that's what I was thinking was happening, but was going to wait till this evening to make sure of my answer. :)

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby Distant Scholar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:59 pm

chshrkt wrote:After making this post here, I went back and read the book, saw that 2nd character level did not get '2nd level' spells, hit d20pfsrd and the Paizo forums and read further that calling them 2nd level spells is really confusing for 'new' players (which I guess I consider myself to be, since I am new to pure casters). Some have suggested renaming the spells 'levels' as "circle", "degree", "grade", or "tier".

I blame Gary Gygax. Seriously. No, not because he wasn't clever enough to think of using different names, but because he was, but decided not to anyway.
AD&D Players Handbook wrote:It was initially contemplated to term character power as rank, spell complexity was to be termed power, and monster strength was to be termed as order. Thus, instead of a 9th level character encountering a 7th level monster on the 8th dungeon level and attacking it with a 4th level spell, the terminology would have been: A 9th rank character encountered a 7th order monster on the 8th (dungeon) level and attacked it with a 4th power spell. However, because of existing usage, level is retained throughout with all four meanings, and it is not as confusing as it may now seem.

Douglas Limmer
PCGen Data ... something or other
Distant Scholar

Postby chshrkt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Gary,
We all love you and what you did for us, but... man.

To think it was all right there, and then purposefully ignored. ;)
chshrkt

Return to Questions & Issues