Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

[Pathfinder] Masterwork Tools

Where new users can post questions about PCGen, or report possible issues (bug tracking is by Jira - jira.pcgen.org)

[Pathfinder] Masterwork Tools

Postby 42nfl19 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:14 am

I can't seem to find or make Masterwork Tools or Tools, Masterwork anywhere in PCGen. I do have almost all 1pp sources activated, cause I am a bit crazy like that. I can find the usual suspects like Climbing Kit or Disguise Kit. But if I want things for Prof Cooking or Barrister, I would need to make them but can't fidn them. I tried to follow the instructions here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303 thinking that 3.5 is similar but no dice. Any help?

Item in question for reference https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDis ... ork%20tool

Reposted question again because I think I posted in the wrong section.
42nfl19

Re: [Pathfinder] Masterwork Tools

Postby Nylanfs » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 pm

You should be able to right click on the tools and select customize and add Masterwork.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
Nylanfs

Postby 42nfl19 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Sure I can add Masterwork to any item with Add Custom, but it does not allow me to choose which skill to gain a +2 circumstance bonus. The whole point of the tool is that it is suppose to represent a catch all non magical item to boost any skill (in a specific circumstance, hence the bonus) that does not have an already determined item. Climber's Kit gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to climb. Perfume/Cologne gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to diplomacy. However it does not effect people/creatures who don't care how fabulous you smell. What if I want to be a Prof. Barrister? Or Prof. Cook? I could make a Masterwork Lawbook to give me a +2 circumstance bonus on the laws of a certain nation. I could make a Masterwork chef set to give me a +2 circumstance bonus to cooking or if that is to general for the GM, a sushi set for a +2 circumstance to cook sushi.

Unless I am misinterpreting something, your advice does not help me?
42nfl19

Postby Nylanfs » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Which PCGen version are you using?

Nylanfs

Postby 42nfl19 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:51 pm

I tried it on 6.07.08 and 6.07.05. I tried loading all sources and then limited sources core sources. Pathfinder RPG Core Supplements.
42nfl19

Postby Nylanfs » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:04 pm

I just tested with 6.07.06, if you buy and equip Masterwork Artisan Tools (Armor) it adds a +2 bonus to the skill.

Nylanfs

Postby 42nfl19 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:52 pm

Artisan Tools are for Craft checks and are different than Masterwork Tools. I am talking about skills that don't have that like certain Profession Skills or for skills in certain circumstances.

For reference.
https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDis ... ork%20tool
https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDis ... masterwork)
42nfl19

Postby Nylanfs » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 pm

PCGen doesn't take into account of ill defined circumstantial bonus, it's ruled by GM. The Ultimate Equipment set has everything in it that we could define. If you don't want to make a custom dataset for your campaign that has this new equipment in it, I'd just customize one of the items and what the bonus is applied to in the sprop description.

Nylanfs

Postby 42nfl19 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 am

You would not even have to have every ill defined circumstantial bonus. Just like how the Climb Kit is a circumstance bonus, it only works if you equip it. You are technically not suppose to have it on 24/7 in pcgen for your character. So for those certain circumstances if you so choose to have one for the tool, you just need to equip it on your character. These are not passive bonuses. When following the steps for the 3.5 post, I was able to add a skill bonus, the skill in question, the skill bonus value. While it was a competence bonus, the method could also work as a way for Masterwork tools. Also this item was in Core Rule book apparently.

Since apparently this item is not in and there is no work around, I will try and make a feature request I guess for a very old item.
42nfl19

Return to Questions & Issues