Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

[Pathfinder] Missing Investigator Features (Solved)

Where new users can post questions about PCGen, or report possible issues (bug tracking is by Jira - jira.pcgen.org)

[Pathfinder] Missing Investigator Features (Solved)

Postby 42nfl19 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:35 am

5/23/2018 Edit: With my digging through and LegacyKing doing the actual coding, the exact problem was found and a solution was made. To any user who has this problem, a fix has been uploaded. It will be pushed whenever the next patch update comes out I hope.
https://pcgenorg.atlassian.net/browse/DATA-3658

So I have a weird edge case problem that is probably in the bottom of the totem pole of issues. I am trying to make a Kitsune Empiricist Investigator. That in of itself is not the weird part. When trying to choose the Investigator Talent: Alchemist Discovery, it is not there. The condition for this is for the crazy. I basically want to have everything loaded so I never miss an option or feature when building. Even if I would never use them, just having the option puts me at ease. So I have every 1pp pathfinder sources loaded. With this configuration, after a long initial load time, I can start building my character. However, as mentioned before, I am missing this Investigator Talent. If I load up a limited amount of sources like the Player/Campaign Supplementals Pack, it shows up.

Is this a known issue when loading everything? Where things go missing? Is this a memory issue where there is a "corruption" in loading? I tried googling this problem which lead to bat files which lead to them not being loaded cause we use an exe. Do I have to somehow increase the memory usage with the exe? Or is it a broken source or a combination of sources that does it? Can't really test this when I am loading everything at the same time.

I should add that I am using version 6.07.08
Attachments
occult_adventures.zip
(265.05 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by 42nfl19 on Thu May 24, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42nfl19

Re: [Pathfinder] Missing Investigator Features

Postby 42nfl19 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 am

How to somewhat replicate.
>Launch 6.07.08
>Load all 1pp Paizo source books as possible
>Create Investigator all the way to level 3(can be anything)
>Go to section to choose a Investigator Talent
>Alchemist Discovery is missing even though you have levels for certain Alchemist Discoveries like Infusion by level 3

42nfl19

Postby Nylanfs » Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 am

Are you loading the Pathfinder Society source? I believe that limits quite a bit of things to better fit a convention setting.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

Note: This forum will be closed within the next month. Pleas signup at https://pcgen.groups.io
Nylanfs

Postby 42nfl19 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Nylanfs wrote:Are you loading the Pathfinder Society source? I believe that limits quite a bit of things to better fit a convention setting.

I thought the source was fine and that you had to activate the ruleset? Like changing the gameset from Pathfinder_RPG to Pathfinder_PFS or activate it in Optional Rulesets in the Misc tab. Is it Pathfinder Society Field Guide? Pathfinder Society Primer? Or both? Primer also includes special items therefor it might have other goodies I might want. I thought PFS was similar to Unchained where you had to activate the option to use the unchained skill rules or classes. So which one is it that makes things less fun?
42nfl19

Postby 42nfl19 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:30 am

In advanced tab for loading sources, I am under Pathfinder RPG and not Pathfinder Society Organized Play. I took out all sources with the words Society just to be sure, there were 3 of them, and still missing the talent. IDK what could be going on.

Type: InvestigatorTalent   Can be taken more than once   Stacks Requirements: none of ( at least 1 Investigator Archetype ~ Majordomo Archetype ) Description: You can select one alchemist discovery as an investigator talent. When selecting an alchemist discovery, you must be high enough level to qualify for that discovery, using your investigator level as your alchemist level to determine if you qualify. This talent can be selected multiple times; each time grants a new alchemist discovery.

I thought it could be that I am somehow disqualifying myself but IDK how adding more sources would do that. Even if it was a disqualification, it would turn red and not just disappear. Loading the Pathfinder RPG Core Supplements makes it work. I could add the sources I need slowly over time every time I need a specific thing, but that gets confusing as some items/features are duplicated in several sources and is a tedious task in of itself. When you start adding many sources, loading gets slowed to a crawl.
42nfl19

Postby 42nfl19 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:43 am

Doing more experiments, did an all sources pack again in 6.07.05. It has less sources but it works and I see Alchemist Discovery. Gonna see what sources were added in .06 and .07 and remove them in .08. If that does not work, it must be the formula stuff changes in .08.
42nfl19

Postby 42nfl19 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 am

Loading everything in 6.07.06 results in Alchemist Discovery showing up for Investigator Talents.

Loading everything in 6.07.07 results in Alchemist Discovery NOT showing up for Investigator Talents.

Loading everything BUT the new sources introduced in 6.07.07 results in Alchemist Discovery NOT showing up for Investigator Talents.

Loading only Core Supplementals in 7.07.07 results in Alchemist Discovery showing up for Investigator Talents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That means that old sources that are not in Core Supplementals, and not introduced newly in 6.07.07 is maybe causing Alchemist Discovery to not show up. There must have been a change from 6.07.06 to 6.07.07. It will be hard to find the single/multiple sources that causes this error. Due to sources depending on each other, slow loading and slow UI when a multitude of sources are loaded. I do have 8gb of ram but because .bat files are not being used anymore and only an .exe, I am unsure how to increase the memory usage for Java/PCGen. It would be also easier to load sources in chunks but everything is a large list. There are some modules subsets and companion subsets, but no Settings subset and not all companion sources are in the companion subset.
42nfl19

Postby 42nfl19 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 am

I did it, I figured out which source causes Alchemist Discovery to disappear from Investigator Talents. By actually installing the 6.07.08 exe instead of using the zip folder it ran more smoother. I got lucky. I first used the Core Supplement Pack. I then selected the rest of the sources needed so I would have prereqs for everything. i.e. turn all the red text black. At this stage the additional sources were
Inner Sea Gods, Inner Sea Primer, Inner Sea World Guide, and Occult Adventures
. So those 4 plus Core Supplement. Then I turned on each of the 4 one at the time to figure out when it would fail. It fails at Occult Adventures. So I tested the bare minimum to get the Investigator running.
Advanced Class Guide
Advanced Player's Guide
Core Rulebook
Ultimate Combat
Ultimate Equipment
Ultimate Magic
which worked. Then I added Occult Adventures which caused it to fail again. Can anyone else test to confirm this? And if I were to make a jira bug report, would this go under code? data? Would it be a minor or major bug? I know no one helped me out but by explaining it I helped me solve the problem. Talking rubber duck method. Just for completion, I loaded every single sources except Occult Adventures and any sources that requires it. And it shows Alchemist Discovery in Investigator Talents. Overall, good news I found the problem. Bad news, I can't make my Kitsune Empiricist Investigator which needs Blood of the Beast which requires Occult Adventures.
42nfl19

Postby LegacyKing » Thu May 24, 2018 1:35 am

Jump online here >>> https://www.hipchat.com/gmddByrFS

Let's take a look.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Return to Questions & Issues