Board index

PCGen

IT IS ALIVE!!!

Making a character with access to all spell lists

Where users making their own LST files can ask "How-To" support questions

Moderator: Nylanfs

Forum rules
This is only to post HOW-TO Questions in relation to your own personal data sets. This is not where bugs are reported, please use the Main Group for Bugs or issues.

Making a character with access to all spell lists

Postby Goldkin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello everyone. In my group we're playing a game in the Warhammer setting with some homebrewed modified mechanics to fit stuff in. The gist of it is that I'm playing an Amber Wizard character, and we're functionally implementing him as a Druid - but the way we're doing wizards he's supposed to have access to any spell that fits thematically in the Lore of Beasts, no matter what spell list (or expansion/domain etc) it's from. Also, he doesn't prepare spells, but I didn't need to really do anything at all in PCGen to have that fit already. So technically I need the character to be able to access all the spells/spell lists in PCGen, and then I pick the appropriate spells from that.

I've tried a bunch of stuff with attempting a custom class that is a COPY of Druid and is supposed to have more spell lists, but it didn't work out. The Mystic Theurge is supposed to be a good example class to imitate with access to multiple spell lists, but that didn't help me much either. Even if I try out a character with the vanilla Mystic Theurge class itself it doesn't work, the character doesn't have access to both spell lists, and on level ups I get weird bugged out choice windows that I'm supposed to pick a spelllist or spellcasting class from, but the list of choices is actually empty. I even tried to copy and paste the Druid class to one with a new name and modify that, to no avail. Lastly, my best success has been using a template, in which I could add a bunch of ADD:SPELLCASTER statements to add Wizard, Cleric and Bard spell lists to my character (for some reason Ranger doesn't work), though it had some issues where I can't for example try to add Bard spells over level 1 to my known spell lists due to a "You can only learn 0 spells for level 1 and there are no higher-level slots available." error. Also, I'm pretty sure that doesn't cover all or the vast majority of the spells in the game (domains and stuff, and possibly spells with alignment or other restrictions). It also has the caveat of displaying my class on the printable character sheet as "Druid 3 Wizard 0 Cleric 0 Bard 0 Ranger 0" which is a mess, though I can work around that and print the first page differently easily enough. The more annoying part is that my spells print in different blocks, e.g. a block for the Druid class spells with a section for level 0 spells, level 1 spells etc, then a separate Wizard class spells block with its own level sections - which is messy and I'd rather see all my spells in one place (i.e. have one section of all my level 1 spells, etc).

Actually not sure if it matters much for the program, but: this is all in 3.5e in PCGen v6.07.08 so far, even though we've partially migrated to Pathfinder already (I had no trouble adding the needed skills from that, and hiding the removed skills, etc, at least), and apparently going to migrate to 5ed too. Kind of a mess. xD

I've tried a lot of documentation and other reading, watching a video or two and making a post on some subreddit, but for the life of me I can't find the for some reason elusive info on how to do this properly and work around all the issues. Seemed like having a character with more than one spell list would be a pretty commonly desired scenario for people. Hopefully this forum is active enough for someone to give it to me here!

Thanks.
Goldkin

Re: Making a character with access to all spell lists

Postby LegacyKing » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:51 am

In the class file:

CLASS:Amber Wizard or Whatever <> SPELLLIST:x|y|y|y|y

with x being the number of spell casting classes, and y being the name of those spell casting classes.

That should grant all the spell lists.

Cheers,

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Goldkin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks a lot for the help! That works great and avoids those issues of that template method. Beautiful.

It worked for me by copying the Druid class from the vanilla rsrd_classes.lst and pasting it to my my_classes.lst, then adding the SPELLLIST in the first CLASS line. What is the proper way to automatically copy the existing Druid to a new class with a few spell lists and class skills additions?

I tried using the COPY tag in my_classes.lst in my homebrew folder but couldn't get it to work except getting, functionally, a carbon copy:
Code: Select all
CLASS:Druid.COPY=A Druid Copy   CSKILL:Acrobatics   DESC:Hello world   SPELLLIST:2|Druid|Wizard

This creates a new class but fails to affect its accessible spells or class skills, or even its description. In fact the new class is crippled spell-wise, for some reason it has no accessible spells at all, even if I only use a plain CLASS:Druid.COPY=A Druid Copy line. What's up with that?
If I add a .MOD line beneath it I can effect some change:
Code: Select all
CLASS:A Druid Copy.MOD      OUTPUTNAME:new name!   DESC:new desc!   SPELLLIST:2|Druid|Wizard   CSKILL:Acrobatics

This successfully gives the new class a modified description and output name (in its character sheet), and adds Acrobatics as a class skill as well. But the spell lists are still unaffected.

From what I read, I thought COPY removes the needs to use MOD as well, so the first line (CLASS:Druid.COPY=A Druid Copy CSKILL:Acrobatics DESC:Hello world SPELLLIST:2|Druid|Wizard) itself should've already worked. Why not?
Goldkin

Postby LegacyKing » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:00 am

.COPY is making a new copy. Nothing else should be following it.
.MOD is modifying the object.

Honestly, I don't use .MOD or .COPY a class for such. But as long as it works for you great.

Andrew Maitland
PCGen Content SB
- Data Chimp
- Quicksilver Tracker Monkey
LegacyKing
Site Admin

Postby Goldkin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 pm

LegacyKing wrote:.COPY is making a new copy. Nothing else should be following it.].

Well, not according to this documentation, at least: http://pcgen.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/ ... .html#copy
docs wrote:Tags following the .COPY line modify the new object in the same way the .MOD tag modifies objects.

There are more rules there, that basically say that you should be able to omit a use of .MOD after .COPY, but I'm probably not doing it right, can't see an example there, either. So the syntax I used is probably wrong, otherwise this feature is bugged.

LegacyKing wrote:Honestly, I don't use .MOD or .COPY a class for such. But as long as it works for you great.

Well, my problem is that it doesn't work out for me. With the code in my previous post I successfully created a new class copied from existing Druid, and then afterwards changed its names/desc and added a class skill (using a .COPY line and then a .MOD line). That I got working, but I couldn't get adding spell lists to the class afterward working. Probably again a matter of me using wrong syntax, with .MOD in conjuction with SPELLLIST, or maybe you can't do this with the SPELLLIST tag there and you need to use something else, or otherwise it's just impossible to do in this approach (though I doubt that). Hopefully you or someone else can still manage to shed some light on that...

I got it working like you said with the full syntax for creating a whole new class, where I just copied and pasted the entire code for the Druid class from the source file, and just stuck in the SPELLLIST tag in there. But copying and pasting it hardcoded like that is kind of a hack, though it seems to work fine and will probably have no issues at all, so I can use it for now, with the caveat that my code will need to be replaced every time the Druid class changes (for example if I change sources/game mode for my character).
Goldkin

Return to Homebrew LST File Support